Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Positive Thinking Speeds Recovery...

 I injured myself for the first time after committing to a consistent running schedule.  In fact, Tia had talked me into a full marathon...and the worst thing was the injury wasn't ever a running injury...I was playing co-ed volleyball!!  I came down on my right ankle and rolled it, felt a pop, and couldn't get up!  There wasn't much swelling, didn't hurt to put pressure on it, but I couldn't rotate my foot around.
 Still hurting some, but not much swelling the next morning, I was trying to stay hopeful and think I would be back to running by Wednesday...two days of rest!  I cried many tears during the day, but not because it hurt, I didn't know how to tell Tia I wouldn't be running with her that night!  I was a very ANGRY and FRUSTRATED person most of the day!!
 However, after working on it all day it did continue to hurt and swell.  I headed to the doctor...and after a few x-rays was told I pulled some ligaments and they called it an ankle sprain.  Supposedly a 2-6 week recovery.  So not the two days I was hoping for in the beginning, but could have been worse!
I was given an air cast and told to rest it and keep it elevated.  I took my first "mental" day and ended up getting caught up with a lot of little things around the house and on the computer with my foot propped up.  I even took a break and watched a movie!  I read that positive thinking speeds recovery so I'm going to practice up!  I hope to be running sooner than later...never thought I would be saying that aloud!

No comments: